Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Saturday, August 19, 2017 in Bahamas Anchorages, Berry Islands, Living Aboard, YouTube Videos | 0 comments

Winter Norther & Spiny Lobster At Great Harbour

Watch Video 34 here!

We’ve arrived at Great Harbour in the Berry Islands just in time for a serious cold front to bear down on us.

The fun part is that even though we have an excellent spot for wind protection as the weather clocks around from the West to the North – we’re wide open to a very rough, roll-inducing ocean swell that rocks the boat for days.

So that, and also the fact that Tambi has been struggling with seasickness, makes for an arrival in the Bahamas that is a lot more stressful that we had anticipated.

All is not lost though, because once the weather subsides, we are able to stretch out and begin enjoying this wonderful place that we’ve been dreaming about for months.

1.22.17 Today, we had french toast for breakfast, and then we went to the beach with Sarah & Andrew from Honeymooner. Molly found some neat shells, and she played in the water. Sarah gave Ben a fish fillet they caught while sailing to Great Harbour and he cooked it up for dinner. I’ve been feeling sick and uneasy about this sailing adventure. I keep praying that it gets better and that I start enjoying myself. Today, I felt a little better, and the light is shining a little brighter for me. There is hope that this will get better and that I will start to enjoy this family adventure. There is a lot of strong wind coming in tomorrow and we will be stuck on the boat for a few days so, it felt really good to get off the boat for a few hours today and stretch our legs. Hopefully the next few days won’t be unbearable.

1.23.17 The strong wind came in last night and lasted all day today. It was so strong, and so uncomfortable trying to sleep in all that wind. I am feeling pretty crappy today, we just hung out on the boat and didn’t do much.

1.24.17 The strong wind lasted all night last night as well as all day today again. The swell is so bad and the boat was rolling all over the place. We didn’t get much sleep again last night. I am still feeling bad and it’s getting worse. At one point I began to think, what have I done? Why did we do this? We were crazy to think this would work, I’m not made for this! I get car sick just going to town.

Molly did an art project today while we were stuck on the boat. Hopefully there won’t be too many more days like this one. I don’t know how much more I can take.

1.25.17 The strong wind and swell lasted all night again and it has began to die down today. Thank goodness! We got in the diggy and went over to a little island across the cove from us with Claudie, Laurent and Aymeric from Dorenavent (we spent New Years with them). Molly had such a great time playing in the water and sand. I really enjoyed talking with Claudie and getting to know her better. It felt so good to finally get off the boat today. I’ve been feeling stuck and sick for three days now.  While we were chatting and playing on the beach, Ben went spearfishing with Laurent, Andrew and Sarah (from Honeymooner). He caught a HUGE lobster! The Bohemians call them spiny lobsters or crawfish. It was so big! He cooked it up for dinner but I don’t think we cooked it long enough because it wasn’t completely cooked inside and was super tough. He was so disappointed, but now we know for next time. We also cleaned the composting toilet today.

1.26.17 It felt so good to get a good night sleep last night! Today we did some school, then we went over to the island. We had lunch at the Beach Bar. It was pretty good, but also pretty expensive ($40 for two burgers with fries and 1 bottle of water!) After lunch, we walked over to the marina where Claudie and her family are staying. We hung out with them for a bit, and then took showers! I really needed it! Not just to get clean, but it really helped me feel better and things are starting to look up! I feel so much better, after a shower, even if it was a cold one!

We stopped by Gamma Gamma on our way back to our boat. We met them in Lake Boca very briefly and then met them again at the Beach Bar. We hung out with them for a little bit and then came back to the boat for bed.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Like What You See? Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from us! 

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This